Monday, May 12, 2008

Dances, Boys and Tears

This past Friday The Mother Hen had her eight-grade farewell dance. She was so looking forward to it because she had been talking to a boy on the phone for the past two weeks and they were suppose to meet there and hang out.

When we dropped her off, she perked right up and started looking for the boy. He was no where in site, but she wasn't discouraged. "He's probably not here yet. Love you guys! Thanks! See you later!" was the last thing she said before she got out of the car. As it turns out the begining of the dance was great. Things were going well and she and the boy were really having fun. But later, she lost track of him. When she found him again, he was dancing, holding hands and flirting with her best friend. When she got home, I had no idea what to say to her.

When I was in 8th grade, my best friend was a boy. And he didn't dance or flirt with other boys. So, I had no real danger of the situation ever happening to me. But I held her close for a while and tried to come up with something to say. The best I had was, "You will feel better in the morning and besides, boys are stupid." She did laugh but it didn't stop the tears. Bear's only plan was to get the shotgun and hunt the boy down. While the plan sounds good on paper, it wasn't very practical.

By Sunday, she was feeling better. But, I still wish that I could have done more. I wanted to hunt that kid down and make him cry for him mommy. All I could do was tell her that I love her.

No comments: